[Wolves] Santa Clause

Adam Sweet drinky76 at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 27 22:20:34 GMT 2007

--- Chris Maggs <chrismaggs at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hope everyone had a nice Christmas and didn't
> drink/eat too much :)
>
> So, what did Santa bring everyone this year?

No cool geek toys for me, just a pile of clothes,
chocolate and some cash which bought more new clothes
and a new PSU for my ailing desktop which is now 4 and
a half years old and still feels sprightly enough
(2GHz AMD, 1GB RAM, graphics are a bit creaky on new
games though - nVidia GeFore FX 5200 256MB).

It's a bit like Trigger's broom in Only Fools and
Horses now though - it's had a new motherboard, a new
case, 3 disks have come and gone (2 disks, a
motherboard and a PSU died in the old case as a result
of a bad PSU and poor ventilation, hence new case) the
DVD drive and graphics were upgraded so I think only
the RAM and CPU are the same as the original build.

The thing kept turning off, so when cleaning the dust
out didn't solve it, I bought some new CPU thermal
paste as removing the heatsink in the past had started
to leave some gaps in the existing thermal pad, this
didn't work so I was down to a new PSU which finally
fixed the problem. Boring story but I decided to tell
you all as I'm feeling sociable :)

I bought all my Christmas treats for myself early in
December - the Joe Strummer: The Future is Unwritten
DVD and the Cuckoos Egg paperback (I couldn't put this
down and read it in a day and a half). I plan to put
4GB RAM in my Dell XPS über notebook to stop Football
Manager from making me play with a small player
database. Somehow that only costs £95.

Ad

--

http://blog.adamsweet.org/