[Wolves] kicking the windoze habit

chris procter chris-procter at talk21.com
Sat Feb 10 23:24:04 GMT 2007

--- Zeth Green <theology at gmail.com> wrote:

> I got my ipod free, but apart from the small size,
> ipods are pretty
> crap. Not only do they not play many formats, the
> fact that you cannot
> just mount it as USB and dump a file on it is
> ridiculous.

My ipod mounts happily as an external harddrive on
MacOSX, I've seen ipods mounted under windows (both
times to copy [legally owned] music off them), and a
quick google implies you can mount ipods on linux with
mount -t vfat /dev/sda3 /mnt (or -t hfsplus if its a
mac ipod and you have hfsplus support compiled into
your kernel) so as far as I can tell you should be
able to mount it as a USB harddrive.

You cant just dump a file on it and have it play, it
needs to be added to the (xml formatted) database
file,  but there are various linux tools to do this.

None of this helps you play oggs of course.

chris