[Wolves] Offer: Digital Alpha Server 800 5/400

James Turner james at turnersoft.co.uk
Fri Feb 16 22:30:17 GMT 2007

Kevanf1 wrote:
> On 16/02/07, Adam Sweet <drinky76 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> Jeez James. Perhaps we should have some kind of award
>> for the oldest piece of working computer technology.
>>
>> I'm optimistic with my ZX81, but if Sparkes were still
>> around, I'm sure he had a ZX80. No doubt Ron has a few
>> gems. No abacus or analytical engine jokes here
>> though...

Actually, he mentioned at the last LUG meet that he had some sort of
mechanically operated calculator composed substantially from brass.
Perhaps this is some sort of "laptop" version of the analytical engine?

> How about oldest and still being used nearly daily?  I still use my
> Psion 3a quite a few days in the week... wonderful bit of kit and
> amazing what you can do with only 2mb of disk capacity :-)

Compaq Prosignia 300S
75MHz Pentium Processor
16Mb RAM
2Gb SCSI 2 hard disc (would span the height of two modern 3.5" bays)

Manufactured circa 1995, now running Linux, used as a router. :) It was
discarded from a company I used to work for. The original OS was Novell
Netware 3.x (where x is mysteriously unspecified but may have been 11),
for which I have retained the installation discs, manual and box.

I note with some amusement that a hand-written note has been inserted
into the manual, in reference to setting the server's clock. Adjacent in
large lettering is the warning: "TYPE THE FOLLOWING PARAMETER ELSE
YOU'LL END UP SLITTING YOUR WRIST". The words "SLITTING YOUR WRIST" are
prominently underlined with a wavy line of red ink - or at least, I hope
it's red ink...

Regards,

James