[Wolves] Online petition to use Linux

Alex Willmer alex at moreati.org.uk
Mon Feb 19 13:15:56 GMT 2007

On Mon, 2007-02-19 at 11:13 +0000, Kevanf1 wrote:
> There isn't much time left but maybe we can wake some people up if
> enough sing this petition on HM Governments website?
>
> http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/Use-LINUX/

Am I alone in disagreeing with this petition? It asks the PM
(government) to "use the free operating system LINUX in all publicly
funded offices, schools, etc".

I don't believe the government should mandate a single platform for
anything, Linux/Open Source/Free or otherwise. Instead we should succeed
because we've demonstrated we're better.

I would sign up to petition based on mandating open standards & public
disclosure of all contracts/agreements signed by public bodies.

Alex