[Wolves] Online petition to use Linux

Andy Smith andy at lug.org.uk
Mon Feb 19 16:18:02 GMT 2007

On Mon, Feb 19, 2007 at 01:15:27PM +0000, Alex Willmer wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-02-19 at 11:13 +0000, Kevanf1 wrote:
> > There isn't much time left but maybe we can wake some people up if
> > enough sing this petition on HM Governments website?
> >
> > http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/Use-LINUX/
> >

> Am I alone in disagreeing with this petition? It asks the PM
> (government) to "use the free operating system LINUX in all publicly
> funded offices, schools, etc".

Agree with you.  The information that they produce should be free
and accessible to citizens using open standards; if they can do that
with proprietary software then so be it, it is an internal decision
for them and so it should be.

If a customer of mine started preaching to me about what software I
had to use for the company's internal processes then I would not be
impressed. :)

Encrypted mail welcome - keyid 0x604DE5DB