[Wolves] Help - can't get into Ubuntu anymore

Tim Childe tim.childe.lists at gmail.com
Tue Feb 27 10:52:18 GMT 2007

Sorry for lack of reply here, but whole family has been ill !!

I had the right idea, but wasn't sure of the vommands and syntax...

On 2/22/07, Zeth Green <theology at gmail.com> wrote:

> Okay just tried it on an Ubuntu machine:
>
> > 1. Go to the command line.
>
> CTRL+Alt+F1
>
> Sadly they have not bothered to give me a framebuffer console so it
> looks a bit 1970s.

I had that bit ;-)

> > 2. Kill X (including gdm) using the init script.
>
> sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop

I couldn't work out how to kill it properly.  I had sort of managed it with
a failed shutdown attempt - not sure what really happened there.
Anyway, this way worked - still don't understand the command though :-(

> > 3. Start gnome the old fashioned way, on its own (i.e. without gdm)
>
> startx

I had several goes at restartin X - eg X and start X - but I kept getting
just the horrible background and a big cross - no icons or anything.
I don't know if that was because I hadn't stopped it properly, or hadn't
started it properly.
Your way worked, of course ;-)

> > 4. Change the options back

Strangely, the option had all vanished - the item had gone from the menu.
Must have been something else I tried along the way.

Anyway, as it was a fresh install that I had messed up, I just reinstalled
it all.  This time it picked up my new monitor, and all the display setting
worked - ie I could get above 1024x768 - which I had to force manually for
my old monitor.

Thanks for the help.

I'm learning more each time I play with this Linux thing - I just wish I had
the time to play more often.
As a Microsoft trainer, I have to concentrate on other stuff as my first
priority.

Thanks again

Tim.C