[Wolves] nagios talk

rob the.lock.keeper at ukonline.co.uk
Mon Jan 22 22:37:22 GMT 2007

I know I'm late posting this, but as no-one else who attended has mentioned
it...

Well done to James for the talk last week.  I have to admit to some of it
being hard to absorb - but that's because I'm not as familiar with networks
as most of you guys.  However, I did get a good idea of how useful nagios is
to administrators and engineers in the IT world.  It seems a very flexible
and powerful warning tool (even if it's a bit tricky to configure initially).

I mentioned something in the meeting about access to Windows servers using
Linux clients (sorry for swearing!).  Apparently, this might help with
hardware upgrade issues when people use Vista (there I go again - hope Wolves
LUG doesn't have a swear box!).

 >Break the Hardware Upgrade Cycle with Win4Lin Windows Virtual Desktop
>Server
>by Jon Watson
>http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/9358
>Jon shows you how to migrate to the Win4Lin virtual desktop server,
>which
>virtualizes Windows to Linux clients, and break the hardware upgrade
>cycle.

Anyway, I'm not sure if this is significant or whether this has been done
before but here is the article that covers it.  Can anyone translate into
plain English?

Rob