[Wolves] The Great Tea & Coffee Debate!

the.lock.keeper at ukonline.co.uk the.lock.keeper at ukonline.co.uk
Fri Jul 20 20:58:53 BST 2007

Quoting Philip Harper <ph004h7245 at blueyonder.co.uk>:

> Well, this is what we were discussing, tea apparently has Thiamine
> (spelling??) a different type of caffeine???

A bit of googling would have led you to the Wikipedia entry on tea.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tea

You are correct that tea contains Thiamine but this is good for you (better
known as vitamin B1).  Tea also contains Theanine but studies on rats show (even
with repeated high doses) that there are no harmful psychological or physical
effects.  The only possible harmful substances (other than the lower levels of
caffeine than coffee) are:

Tannin - inhibits the absorption of iron.

Theobromine - a (mild) heart stimulant which is probably found in much higher
doses in chocolate.  It's the stuff that makes people (especially female people)
happy.

So there you have it.  I should have piped up at the meeting really, but I like
to check my facts.

Rob