[Wolves] Ubuntu setback

Mo Awkati mawkati at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Jul 28 19:08:13 BST 2007

Hi

I gave a colleague of mine a copy of the 7.04 Ubuntu LXF DVD after I said how impressed I was with it. Unfortunately, my colleague did not back his data from the windows side before installing Ubuntu. the result was a loss of all his data after he installed Ubuntu. I thought Ubuntu would have dual booted with the windows side??

I feel quite upset about this as i am always singing the praises of Linux. I accept that the cardinal rule is to always back up your data before any installation or repartitioning etc. I was not with him at the time, but I can't help feeling bad about it.

I have not installed Ubuntu alongside a windows partition. My PC is a pure Linux setup so I am not sure how it should have behaved. I have googled and read the documentation on the Ubuntu website and apparently it should have dual booted without any problems. From what I understand is that he accepted the automatic option rather than the manual. He used SUSE before so he is not entirely new to Linux.

Any thoughts from anyone who installed a dual boot option?

Cheers

Mo