[Wolves] Ubuntu setback

Mo Awkati mawkati at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Jul 29 08:48:15 BST 2007

----- Original Message ----
From: William J Giddings <giddings at freeuk.com>
To: Wolverhampton Linux User Group <wolves at mailman.lug.org.uk>
Sent: Saturday, 28 July, 2007 9:48:05 PM
Subject: Re: [Wolves] Ubuntu setback

If the UBUNTU installer has simply overwritten the partition table
without reformatting the disk then some help is at hand. I did a similar
think a few weeks ago when I reinstalled linux. Whilst I had made
backups of the data on the windows partitions there were some recent
changes which I nearly cried over the prospect of loosing which included
about 2 weeks work on my Ph.D thesis! However, I was delighted to find a
utility worthy of the Harry Potter spell book -TestDiak. In deed it
rebuilt my partition table quicker than YAST rubbed it out. (The evil
deed was not commited by YAST or Valdemort but by my own impatience and
negligence!).

Anyway, find the TestDisk on:

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk

Good luck with the recovery..

WJG

Hi

Thanks William for the tip on the software I'll go and have a look. I understand where Andy is coming from, I never do anything on my PC or anyone else's without backing up the data first, like I said its a cardinal rule. My colleague didn't wait for me to find out how I can recover the data for him, he immediately reinstalled windows ( I can't tell you how I felt!). I am certain that if he opened gparted the partition would have been there and he would have been able to move the data to a stick or a dvd.

And now its all Linux's fault and my fault!!!

Mo