[Wolves] Sick of M$

Andy Smith andy at lug.org.uk
Mon Jul 30 11:14:54 BST 2007

Hello,

On Mon, Jul 30, 2007 at 09:43:31AM +0000, Suntish Narain wrote:
>    i bought a laptop from PC World last October, took the insurance on
>    it, which entitles me for a free health check. My laptop is a HP
>    Pavilion. A couple of weeks ago, i brought my laptop to PC World for
>    the health check i was entitled, they refused to do it, saying that i
>    have partitioned my hard disk with Ubuntu.

Do the terms of it say you cannot repartition it?  If not, complain
to store manager, and then the company, since you have a perfectly
valid install of Windows XP.

>    Even though i had Windows XP on it, they told me that the
>    warranty that i had was voided as well, just because i has
>    Ubuntu installed. I have been paying £12.99 per month for that
>    extended insurance.
>    It's not fair.

I doubt this would stand up if there was an actual hardware problem,
and sounds more like an uneducated storechimp chittering away
between banana breaks.

Also I would examine exactly what £12.99 a month provides you with
as the manufacturer's warranty is often sufficient and laptops are
often covered by house contents insurance even when away from home.
£12.99/mo sounds like a lot of money to be paying so I hope it is
providing something worth it above and beyond that.

Cheers,
Andy

Encrypted mail welcome - keyid 0x604DE5DB