[Wolves] Extracting data from log

Wayne waynelists at machx.co.uk
Fri Mar 2 12:24:06 GMT 2007

Andy Smith wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 01, 2007 at 08:07:01PM +0000, Wayne wrote:
>
>> Could some one point me in the right way to write a script to extract
>> all email addresses within period ( 1 week or 1 day) that have been
>> rejected by exim
>> and mail me the list?
>>

> Just use eximstats that comes with exim?
>
> Cheers,
> Andy

That does look very useful, but I don't think it can do what i want.

I use greylistd to (very succesfully) stop spam, it works by
temporarily rejecting acceptance of an email for a certain period.
In general only legitimate emails are retried and they are then received.

The problem is that some legitimate mail also gives up.

main.log shows entries like:
2007-02-25 07:35:31 H=dn200.opt2.point.ne.jp [210.235.222.200]
F=<aceofspades686mlzt at gmail.com> temporarily rejected RCPT
<wayne at machx.co.uk>: greylisted.

So what I want to do it wherever "temporarily rejected" appears in the
log , pull out the previuos email address, add it to a list (maybe be a bit
clever and only add it if its unique) and then send the list to me.

Then I can look at the list and easily spot if "bob at mate.com" has been
rejected, at the moment I have to trawl thru main.log which is hard on
the eyes!

Cheers