[Wolves] [INFO] How do you ssh around a router?

James Turner james at turnersoft.co.uk
Tue May 8 21:58:42 BST 2007

Andy Smith wrote:

> If you mean from outside, we would have to know more about your
> network setup.  192.168.*.* addresses are not globally routable so
> you would generally need to use NAT to forward a port on your router
> to port 22 of 192.168.1.2 for example.

It may be worth considering forwarding from a non-standard port rather
than port 22. The ssh command option to specify the port on the client
end is -p <n>, or enter into the session dialogue box on PuTTY.

Note: Security by obscurity is no security at all, but using a
non-standard port should help screen out the "background noise" of
automated password-guessing attacks, etc, should make any real attacks
(if any) more obvious.

Regards,

James