[Wolves] Linux man pages

Richard Smedley smedley358 at btinternet.com
Thu Nov 15 08:51:52 GMT 2007

On Thu, 2007-11-15 at 08:36 +0000, David Goodwin wrote:
> leei at webmail.co.za wrote :
> > > Does anyone know where I can download all the Linux man pages in plain
> > > text format - preferably in an archive if possible!  I know I could do
> > > "man command > command.txt" but this would take bloody ages!
> > >
> > > I suppose I could write a script for it by making an array of all the
> > > commands and then replacing a variable in the above command and then
> > > just disappear for a bit while my PC churns away but thought I'd see
> > > if they were available first!

You could pipe them through troff -a   (or troff -T ascii)
 - see man troff ;)
The man command itself also has switches to produce .dvi files, among
others :)

Or, simpler:
apt-get install trofcvt
:-)

> > I think all the man pages are in html format on the pc so I am sure you
> > can open them up in html format and print them from there.

> No, man pages are in groff/troff (?) format.

> I'm sure you can convert them if you must; but I've seen sites that
> seem to have already archived them as html when searching the web. So
> presumably conversion is easy and possible.

Man pages in troff:
http://tldp.org/manpages/man-pages-2.67.tar.bz2

HTML format:
http://www.tldp.org/manpages/man-html/man-html-20071110.tar.bz2

Online in HTML, ascii, & Postscript:
http://www.linuxpakistan.net/man.php

Online man, info & perldoc:
http://www.phpman.info/

> Perhaps there's a man2html / man2txt command?

man2html -title '<manpage_title>' < <ascii_output_file> > <html_file>

 - Richard