[Wolves] Talk for this week's meeting

Adam Sweet drinky76 at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 18 13:29:20 GMT 2007

Hi everyone

I said to Marley at the end of the last meeting that
as I have some suitable hardware at my house at the
moment, I can do one of a number of talks at the next
meeting if he doesn't mind hanging fire for another
fortnight with his own talk, as I can't guarantee I'll
have the hardware in another 2 weeks.

I can do any of the following:

1) What the f*** is IPMI (remote server management
tool to replace an IP KVM and an IP PDU (Power
Distribution Unit))
2) Managing your network with SNMP (it's not that
hard)
3) Using Kickstart to automate installations
4) 10 minute guide to Xen

The IPMI one is completely server hardware specific,
you can't buy off the shelf IPMI controllers for
machines that don't support it (I may be wrong, but
I'd be surprised) and not all servers do, so maybe
this might be of limited interest, but it is
interesting (to me at least). This is the one I
currently have the hardware to demonstrate.

The SNMP one is partly written. This has a wider
appeal I guess because we can all do it on any
hardware, including your router.

I've been using Kickstart a lot this week to automate
server installations, it's not that hard either. I
could quite easily perform one in front of a live
studio audience. Not much use though unless you have
lots of machines to install quickly but you still want
to be able to control parts of the installation.

10 minute guide to Xen will probably be more like a 5
minute guide to Xen and is best left until I can make
it a 30 minute guide to Xen.

Alternatively, Marley, would you prefer to do your own
talk, which you won't tell anyone the title of? It
might help if you told people what your title was so
we can decide which we would prefer and so people can
decide whether they want to turn up.

Answers on a postcard.

Ad

--