[Wolves] Some cool links

Mark Harrison Mark at yourpropertyexpert.com
Tue Oct 2 16:43:54 BST 2007

David Goodwin wrote:
>> This may be some subject that is particularly suited to Macs also.
>>
>> I am not sure I would want to study in such a Uni, it hardly seems to
>> be 1-to-1 tuition there.
>>

> Tuition != Lectures.

Indeed. We had four types of tuition:

- Lectures (about 10 per week), between 30-200 people in the room
depending on how popular the module
- Classes (2 per week), typically 8-10 people in a far more interactive
group
- Tutorials (3 per week), 2 of us and a tutor going through stuff
- Practicals, networked Sun workstations (this was the late 80s), with
"practical assistants" to help with individual issues at certain periods
each week, but open access to the lab pretty much full-time, please
remote terminal access 24x7.

Of course, this was in the days before affordable laptops! You can plot
the evolution of mainstream IT access in my family:

Me, born 1970 - studied Maths/Comp at Uni 1989-92. Only those studying
Comp Sci actually had computers. I knew one person with a laptop, and
his dad was a self-made millionaire. His dad was also the only person I
knew with a car-phone (in his Roller) :-)

My brother, born 1972 - studied History / Politics, 1991-1994. He had a
desktop PC in his third year for his dissertation. Others did their
dissertations on paper or a shared "IT Room" facility in the Uni.

My sister, born 1979 - studied Geography, 1998-2001. Lived out, four
students in the house, each with their own laptop.

M.