[Wolves] Windows NT + licenses needed!

Mark Harrison Mark at yourpropertyexpert.com
Wed Oct 3 17:06:13 BST 2007

Peter Evans wrote:
> On Wednesday 03 October 2007 11:05:59 Mark Harrison wrote:
>
>> But we're not primarily talking about Current licences, or even O/S
>> licences are we?
>>
>> The bulk of the request was for NT CALs... which explicitly WERE
>> transferable.
>>
>> For NT 4.0, the term in the licence that explains this is the "Other
>> Transfers" section of Clause 2. This can be found about 1/3 of the way
>> down page 2 of the MLA.
>>
> In my limited experience of working with public sector bodies (councils and
> schools) their licenses are sometimes purchased under preferable terms - I
> recall some framework operated by the OGC.  Given that these licenses *may*
> have been purchased through this route, might this not affect their ability
> to be sold on?

Indeed it may, as would licences purchased under any of the corporate
agreements (like MALP) that were around when NT was the cutting edge :-)

One of the problems is that there are so many licence variants around
that no-one really understands them all. I'd estimate that 90% of the
software sold at computer fairs is "dodgy" in this respect, and I'm
amazed that MS don't bother policing such things.

M.