[Wolves] Backing up over a WAN connection

Adam Sweet drinky76 at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 4 15:51:53 BST 2007

--- leei at webmail.co.za wrote:

> > leei at webmail.co.za wrote:
> >> How does one do a backup over a WAN connection
> with latency for servers
> >> across the world and create an image of the
> entire system including SQL.
> >> What Linux free software will do the above for
> us. We have tried rdiff
> >> and
> >> that does not work.
> >
> > I use rsync nightly to replicate our office
> server's /data/ directory to
> > a backup store on a remote webserver, via our ADSL
> link. If you use a
> > tool such as mysqldump to create a text version of
> the database prior to
> > running the rsync that would keep that up to date
> also.

> Hi Alastair,
>
> Thank you for your e-mail.
>
> We do not have a good latency between the sites that
> need to be backed up.
> Can you suggest anything?

I don't know rdiff either and whether there is
anything special about rdiff which makes it sensitive
to network latency. If thats a problem for you then
either you can't back up this way over a WAN or you
need a different link. There is nothing you can do to
make this better as you probably don't control the
link.

As I said, I haven't looked into rdiff much, but rsync
works over SSH and has compression options, I assume
rdiff does too. SSH is better able to handle recovery
from network issues than a plaintext protocol and so
these options are the best solution I know of.

If they aren't enough to solve your problem and you
don't get any other suggestions, then this WAN backup
method isn't going to work for you.

What problem is the latency is causing you? Rdiff
failing or that by the time the backup has finished
the data is already out of date for what you need? Not
sure it makes much difference either way though, it
either gives you what you need or it doesn't.

Ad

--

http://blog.adamsweet.org/