[Wolves] Fedora 7 & Google Earth

Alex Willmer alex at moreati.org.uk
Sat Oct 6 13:29:56 BST 2007

leei at webmail.co.za wrote:
> How does one install google earth on Fedora 7 as the download does not
> start on the google site and on the prefect desktop site the file does not
> exist.

Hi Lee, I'm not sure what could be causing this problem with Fedora 7
specifically, I'd just like to check some assumptions with you.

I just downloaded Google Earth for Linux 4.2, it's a single installer
that should work any most distros. I visited this web page to perform
the download: <http://earth.google.com/download-earth.html>.

After accepting the EULA, I was taken to
<http://earth.google.com/tour/thanks-linux4.html>, which started the
download. In case the download didn't start, there was a link at the top
of the page to the installer, at:
<http://dl.google.com/earth/client/current/GoogleEarthLinux.bin>.

Once the download completed, I ran the installer. The first step was to
mark it as executable. In Gnome you can right click the file, open the
Properties, go to the permissions tab and enable 'Allow executing file
as program'.Once this was done I could double click the installer,
choose to run it and follow the on screen instructions.

Are you getting past the EULA page on google.com and is there a link
labelled 'Thanks. The Google Earth download should start automatically.
If it doesn't, please click here to start it.'?

Regards, Alex