[Wolves] Kubuntu and ntfs drives

Kevanf1 kevanf1 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 8 17:57:38 BST 2007

Does anybody here use Kubuntu 7.04?  If so have you 'successfully'
managed to hook up an external (USB) drive that is formatted with the
Microsoft ntfs file system.  I've gone through so many hoops trying to
get this done it is ridiculous.  I have tried the Kubuntu forums and
done exactly as suggested.  No joy.  I do have ntfs-3g installed that
is not a problem.  The drive will mount as root and is both readable
and writable.  I am told (via the forums) that there should be no need
to touch the fstab file.  Well, I disagree because I see no other way
of this working otherwise.  A FAT32 formatted external USB drive is
recognised and mounts both read and writable by any user.  This should
happen for a ntfs formatted drive but it doesn't.

So, if anybody has done this successfully I'd love to hear how it was done.

By the way, yes, the drive does have to remain ntfs format I'm afraid.
 It has to be able to handle files bigger than 4gb.  FAT 32 will not
do this and putting the Ext3 drivers onto the Windows box isn't an
option...it's not just my PC that is affected.