[Wolves] Slow file transfer in Ubuntu 7.04

Mo Awkati mawkati at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Oct 9 18:52:41 BST 2007

----- Original Message ----
From: Adam Sweet <drinky76 at yahoo.com>
To: Wolverhampton Linux User Group <wolves at mailman.lug.org.uk>
Sent: Tuesday, 9 October, 2007 11:51:53 AM
Subject: Re: [Wolves] Slow file transfer in Ubuntu 7.04

http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/how-fast-is-linux-sata-hard-disk.html

> Although not that likely, but it may be worth
> confirming that the poor
> performance isn't due to disc errors/retries. A
> quick way to investigate:
>
>  - Do a slow file transfer
>  - Open up a terminal
>  - Type:
>      dmesg
>
> A load of technical gibberish will scroll past - the
> device detection
>
> . If lines such as these appear at the end then
> that's indicative of an
> error:
>
> kernel: hda: drive_cmd: status=0x51 { DriveReady
> SeekComplete Error }
> kernel: hda: drive_cmd: error=0x04 {
> DriveStatusError }

Hurghhhhhh. My least favourite error message ever :(

Ad

I'll have a look at the dmesg, but I am regularly (every 20 open and shutdowm, it doesn't seem that many but there you go) getting fsck running at the beginning of the boot up process and it reports everything OK.

Mo