[Wolves] Google repositories

Andy Smith andy at lug.org.uk
Thu Oct 11 14:59:22 BST 2007

Hi,

On Thu, Oct 11, 2007 at 11:39:51AM +0100, ArchLinuxUser dick_turpin wrote:
> On 11/10/2007, Chris Fox <chris at robotninja.net> wrote:
> > I know, and my point wasn't thay they're doing "good" or "bad" things
> > with your data but that they're not collecting any identifiable (or even
> > usable) data in the first place.
>
> No that's incorrect, 'usage information' is valuable to someone that's why
> we all have webstats on our websites it lets us know who is looking at what
> that way we can say "Hm those risqué pictures of Adam are a hit lets get
> more of them up there".

The only information they get would be which of their software you
downloaded, your IP address and possibly what distribution you use.
It's the same info you give Ubuntu, Debian or Red Hat.

> > Well IIRC most of the software in Google's Linux repos isn't released
> > under a GPL licence so it couldn't be distributed as part of most
> > official distros.
>
> I don't understand what you're saying? Nearly all the distro's do that don't
> they?

He's saying that the software in google's linux software
repositories is their own software, packaged for various linux
distributions.  Because of the license used, most distributions do
not include these applications in their default repositories.  We're
talking things like Google Earth and Google Picasa.  Google have
thus provided compatible repositories for people to add later should
they wish to.

> you can download the iso then add the non-oss afterwards.

That is exactly what Google are inviting people to do, using the
normal packaging method of their distribution.

Cheers,
Andy

Encrypted mail welcome - keyid 0x604DE5DB