[Wolves] BTfon - Can anyone make any sense of this announcement?

Peter Evans zen8486 at zen.co.uk
Mon Oct 15 11:01:35 BST 2007

On Sunday 14 October 2007 20:09:09 Andy Wootton wrote:
I will try hard not to come across as a troll here, but it appears there's
quite a bit of vitriol being posted and I'm not sure why...

> I'd be really excited about this if it was anyone but BT.
Why is this such a concern?

> Surely free, wide-spread metropolitan networks with VOIP would kill them.
Quite possibly, but is there ever going to be such a beast?  Are there any
free wide-spread working networks with VOIP (genuine question, because I
don't know).  If there are, then how do they get funded?

> Are they trying to stop anyone else starting up a service by establishing a
new monopoly that they can control or am I missing something?
I have to say I think you're missing something. Unless of course I'm missing
something.  The service as I understand it is modelled on the existing FON
service and offers subscribers the ability to take advantage of Openzone and
FON hotspots and Wi-Fi access where people have routers outside of these
hotspots - what's so bad/sinister about this?

As for establishing a monopoly I think that's a little too over the top.  Is
everyone going to migrate across to BT Internet simply because they get this
functionality

> Technically it looks good. Separate channels for personal encrypted
> traffic and an open, unencrypted link. I guess they could channel limit.
> No, it isn't free but it's just a bandwidth exchange with other
> community members. If other ISPs get involved too then it could be great
> but if only BT is in the game then I'm worried.
Again, why are you worried if only BT is involved?  I don't see the same level
of concern about other partnerships being expressed, why this one?
--
Regards,

Pete Evans