[Wolves] BTfon - Can anyone make any sense of this announcement?

Kevanf1 kevanf1 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 15 11:32:17 BST 2007

On 15/10/2007, Peter Evans <zen8486 at zen.co.uk> wrote:

> I will try hard not to come across as a troll here, but it appears there's
> quite a bit of vitriol being posted and I'm not sure why...
>
> > I'd be really excited about this if it was anyone but BT.
> Why is this such a concern?

Maybe because a lot of people have had bad experiences with BT?  I
have personally.  Not too long ago they changed the way they billed
customers (this is BT the phone provider, not the ISP side).  They
placed everybody onto one of the special rate tariffs.  Some people
were already on this (I forget the name of the scheme, sorry) with
three levels being available.  Outside of this there was just the bog
standard phone line rental and call payment package.  This last was
scrapped with every customer going on at least the first tier of the
special scheme.  It cost us as a family approximately £20 extra every
month :-(  That may not be much to most of you but bear in mind I am
on disability benefits and my wife is woefully on far less than the
average wage; so it was a lot for us.  We then tried to go on the
light user scheme to offset this extra.  The light user scheme is one
where if you use less than £12 worth of calls in every billing period
you get a substantial discount.  Our average amount of call charges is
around £6 to £8 per billing period. So we asked about it... "Oh sorry,
you can't go on the light user scheme because you have a digital
line".  Great! So we can stop on slow old dial up and have an analogue
line and a reduced phone bill or go digital and get cheap broadband
(Plus Net) but high phone bill.

I won't mention the problems we had with BT the ISP side.

That's why I don't trust BT.  I don't know about everybody else.