[Wolves] BTfon - Can anyone make any sense of this announcement?

Andy Smith andy at lug.org.uk
Tue Oct 16 05:29:34 BST 2007

Hi,

On Mon, Oct 15, 2007 at 12:58:59PM +0100, ArchLinuxUser dick_turpin wrote:
> Its irrelevant who you get your broadband from it all goes through Telecom
> house in London anyway

Do you mean Telehouse London?  If so, this is not a BT-owned facility.

> (I've said this before) you know, you buy your gas or electric
> from Swaziland energy but it still comes through British gas pipes
> or West Midlands electricity cables.
>
> So you'll indirectly be paying BT anyway :-)

For most of us using DSL it does indeed all get backhauled onto BT's
network, with our ISPs just being BT resellers (or in many cases,
resellers of BT resellers).

It is possible to get unbundled DSL though which won't touch BT's
network at all (unless you interact with people on BT's network).
However, many of the unbundled DSL providers make BT look competent.
We're talking the likes of Bulldog, Plusnet, CarphoneWarehouse etc.

Cheers,
Andy

Encrypted mail welcome - keyid 0x604DE5DB