[Wolves] Hosting a domain yourself

Andy Wootton andy.wootton at wyrley.demon.co.uk
Sat Oct 20 13:56:48 BST 2007

Philip Harper wrote:
> How do you go about the process of actually hosting your own domain,
> is this possible with just a normal broadband connection?
>
> I know you would have to set up your own nameserver, and then route
> incoming traffic through to a DMZ, and then pointing that domain to
> the address of your webserver, and then you have all the security
> implications.
>
> Has anyone done it?

Remember that the 'A' in ADSL stands for asynchronous. The upload speed
is far less than the download speed you are used to. Many ISPs now
operate a 'fair usage' policy on their 'unlimited' service and you will
be putting the amount your link is used outside your control.

Demon's £25 pm home-office service has a static IP address