[Wolves] Under 16s

Alex Willmer alex at moreati.org.uk
Tue Oct 23 23:58:53 BST 2007

Rob Parker wrote:
> Dear Wolves LUG,
> I am aged 15 and live in Stourbridge, and Wolves seems to be my closest
> LUG
Welcome and thanks for getting in touch. Any questions or queries please
let us know.

> The only problem is as I as said I am 15 (16 on 7th Jan 08), and was
> wondering whether it's OK for me to come to your meetings as most of
> them are at pubs and am not sure whether it's suitable, such as your one
> tomorrow:

This is something we really should consider in the future, perhaps we
might have a few meetings in a restaurant. Firstly, if your parents
would like to come along and meet us, they'd be more than welcome. I
like to think we're a responsible  & upstanding bunch.

As James mentioned, we sometimes have meetings at Lincoln house, a
community centre where there is no alcohol served. It is 10 minutes walk
from the train station. Subject to your parents' approval, a pickup and
drop off from the city centre could be arranged. Again, you're parents
are welcome to accompany you and meet us.

On a purely legal standpoint it would appear that following the
Licensing Act 2003, an under 16 may enter a pub if accompanied by an
adult, provided that they do not consume any alcohol and leave the
premises by midnight. This is subject to conditions on individual
license restrictions and anything imposed by the landlord. It is
possible that you could join us at the Bridge Under Water.  Mys source
for this is:

http://www.beerandpub.com/content.asp?id_Content=2538&id_Content_Parent_Override=2300

However, I think I speak for us all when I say none of us would be
willing to do this this, without speaking with your parents and knowing
that they:
1. Know exactly where you are going, when and for what purpose.
2. Know the atmosphere of The Moon Under Water.
3. Know who you are meeting and why.
4. Are completely happy with your travel arrangments
5. Know that you would be meeting a group of adults in a pub, some of
whom will be drinking alcohol.

We could not arrange all of that in time for tomorrow and even if we
could I would not be comfortable having it so rushed. Your parents or
guardians are more than welcome, if they wish to meet us or even if
they're also interested in Linux. We can discuss this further, should
they wish.
> P.S: Hopefully I'm using your mailing list right. LUGRadio and Ubuntu
> rock!!

You're using the list fine, thank you for trying out Linux and letting
us know.

Alex