[Wolves] So Rob did you like your first Lug Meeting?

ArchLinuxUser dick_turpin dick_turpin at archlinux.us
Fri Oct 26 05:12:53 BST 2007

On 25/10/2007, Dave Morley <davmor2 at gmail.com> wrote:

> There's no covername at all.  We just use what we find is best :)  Pete
> I see your overwhelming Love of Suse is slipping ;)

I'm in a blind panic actually, ArchLinux really rocks, you need a modicum of
skill to run it but its so slick, none of this "Download the latest iso"
rubbish once installed you're set for life theres no 'update' as such its
all *upgrade* so in ubuntu language thats apt-get dist-upgrade (I think)
which means when the next release is out you just upgrade as normal. You're
installation is a carbon copy of what is on the repo server a bit like SVN
Arch uses the same philosophy as Debian/Ubuntu in that you guys have
*unstable* we have the *AUR*.

Having said that openSUSE 10.3 is just mind bogglingly awesome, every new
release gets the same old boring hype "Oowwwwee gaawwdd its gonna so
brilliant" then when you install it (Unless you spoil the surprise by
running the beta's) you think "Whats that all about then?" all thats
*visibly* new is the colour scheme maybe the splash screen but basically a
GUI overhaul. True there maybe some tweaks and improvements under the hood
but generally nothing that can be seen with the naked eye.

openSUSE 10.3 changed all that gone is the dire zmd, kicked into touch is
the rubbish 'blue look', in comes the *One click install* out goes the dog
rough boot time, gone for ever is the appalling reiser file system its just
too good for words.

So yes you're right my love for SuSE did wain a bit but its back with a
vengeance now especially as I'm 'riding the rapids' by using the 64bit
version (which I've had no trouble with, yet).

P.S. I've worked out the SuSE curse! Every release  with a *2* in it has
been awful, 9.2 was pants 10.2 was pants I just need to skip 11.2 when it
comes out.

--
Regards

Dick Turpin
http://www.cannon-linux.co.uk

Arch Linux is an independent i686-optimized community distribution for
intermediate and advanced Linux users. Utilising a Rolling Release System
packages are regularly updated and an ISO release is just a snapshot to the
stable packages at that time. So there's no need for a fresh install the
command 'pacman –Syu' upgrades the whole system.