[Wolves] Is IMAP better than POP?

Mark Harrison Mark at yourpropertyexpert.com
Tue Oct 30 09:48:58 GMT 2007

Alex Willmer wrote:
> Dave Morley wrote:
>
>> Is IMAP better than POP and if so why please?
>>

> POP3: [... ] Protocol is better suited to slow links such as dialup or
> GPRS.

Alex,

Interested to hear you say that. My experience has been that, given I
get a reasonable number of files with attachments in the average day,
when I'm on the road (and therefore on a slow link), the slightly higher
network overhead of IMAP is trumped by the fact that IMAP can just read
the headers, and then let me decide whether I _want_ to download that
thunking great Powerpoint that someone thinks I need.

M.