[Wolves] Upgrading Ubuntu 7.04 to 7.10

Kevanf1 kevanf1 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 30 16:11:23 GMT 2007

On 30/10/2007, leei at webmail.co.za <leei at webmail.co.za> wrote:
> Hi Kevan,
>
> Thank you for replying back to my post.

No problem :-)

> I hope that it is ok for me to start typing at the top here as I am not
> familiar with the netiquette for user groups.

Errrrrr, well, actually you should be replying below the previous
text.  Cut out the irrelevant stuff like sig files etc but leave
enough in so that everybody knows what you are replying to :-)

> I did the update for 7.04 and it did all the upgrades in an hour. In the
> list of the upgrades the upgrade to 7.10 was not in the list and when I
> went back to the upgrade manager it was empty.

Russ has covered that bit so I won't go over old ground.

> Must I just run the apt programs from the command line?

I have done but don't you have Synaptic installed?  This is a
graphical front end to Apt and is pretty darned good :-)  It has its
faults but It's ok.

> Before I do the upgrade I will install the nvidia driver.

Sounds good... I did that and didn't find any improvement in
performance though :-(  that could be something I have done wrong
though.  A word of warning!  Be very careful if you tempted to delve
into messing with the xorg configuration file.  I have found that it
can be tempremental.  It has built in backup in case the xorg server
falls flat.  Except it left me with just a flashing cursor and no
prompt :-(  I'm trying to learn about the xorg files and how to
effectively edit them.