[Wolves] Suggest an OS

Kevanf1 kevanf1 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 7 11:10:02 BST 2007

On 06/09/2007, Tim Childe <tim.childe.lists at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for all the advice so far.
>
> This thing used to run Win98SE with Firefox or IE5.5 in 32Mb of RAM
>
> Problem was that when i got broadband I went on line, installed ie 6.0, zone
> alarm and avg - then rebooted.  It's never been the same since, despite
> trying to remove both avg and zone alarm.
>
> As for memory, I've already done the upgrade thing and upgraded to 64 - I
> made an error assuming that the 32 was in one slot leaving one free, but
> it's actually built in leaving two slots free, so I could have gone to 80Mb.
>  Unfortunately, I realised too late to add another 'simm' to my order and as
> the postage from the US was more than the price of the memory ordering a
> second time was not worth it. (the memory is ridiculously expensive in this
> country)
>
> As for DSL and Puppy - I've played with both of these on my main PC (which
> dual boots W2k and Ubuntu) and much prefer Puppy - but I couldn't get either
> to run live.
>
> My choice is likely to be Puppy or Win98SE again, and you advice confirms
> this I think.
>
> I'll have to pluck up the courage to format the device and start from
> scratch (it took a lot of effort to get this laptop from it's pre-installed
> Win95 up to Win98SE !!)
>
> I wonder if I could get my A+ students to do it for practice (I'm not sure
> msft would like me doing it during an MCSE course !!!!)
>

> Thanks again
>
> Tim.C

Be aware that as lovely as 'Puppy' is, it can be a pain to install
sometimes.  I personally use it on an old PC that I have but in the
Live variant.  Now, thinking that I would get a better experience by
running it from the HD I tried installing it.  No dice :-(  I did
everything and did all the checks.  The Puppy forums are excellent but
I still could not work this one out.  It's not the first time
either....