[Wolves] Suggest an OS

Richard Smedley smedley358 at btinternet.com
Mon Sep 10 15:09:12 BST 2007

On Mon, 2007-09-10 at 14:18 +0200, Chris Fox wrote:
> Surely this would require installing an OS under which to run an ssh client?
>
> Surely if the laptop's too decrepid to run a modern OS, something like LTSP (Linux Terminal Server Project) might be more helpful?
>
> http://www.ltsp.org/

But the 760 is not too old to be running GNU and an X Server.
Running heavyweight programs remotely still leaves the option
of running core programs locally, so the laptop is not
tied to the local network - important for most home use,
I'm guessing.

Not that LTSP (and edubuntu's implementation thereof) isn't
great - we love it, and so do our clients :-)

 - Richard

Richard Smedley,                                         rs at m6-it.org
Technical Director,                                     www.M6-IT.org
M6-IT CIC                                        +44 (0)779 456 07 14

Sustainable Third Sector IT solutions. PRINCE2[TM] Project Management
Web services * Back-ups * Support * Training & Certification * E-Mail

M6-IT is a Community Interest Company, limited by guarantee.
Registered in England & Wales,               Registration No: 6040154
11 St Marks Road, Stourbridge, West Midlands, DY9 7DT

Northern Office:      4, Hollins Green, Bradwall, Cheshire, CW10 0LA.

Welsh office/Swyddfa Gogledd Cymru: e-mail / e-bost - cymru at m6-it.org

Southern Office: Bristol                    contact matthew at m6-it.org