[Wolves] Important Please read

Adam Sweet drinky76 at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 19 10:09:34 BST 2007

--- David Morley <davmor2 at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2/ We need people to volunteer for talks again.  My
> suggestion for now
> is to post your talk on a reply to this mail.
> Myself and Ron will add
> them to the wiki after a clean up.

I was talking to Chris Proctor and Mr Willmer about
some talks I was thinking about giving:

1) A Beginners Guide to Graphing Stuff with SNMP.
2) IPMI is for all of the things you can't do with
SSH.
3) Running your own mail server with (V)Exim.

The SNMP talk will be about setting it up,
understanding how it works and using it to graph stuff
like bandwidth, CPU, memory and disk usage.

IPMI is (so I'm told) much like HP's LOM (Lights Out
Management). It's a protocol and set of tools for
doing remote power control, getting a serial console
over a LAN and so on so you can access your BIOS and
bootloader remotely and power cycle your server when
it dies and won't respond. This one might not be
interesting to the general LUG populous of the LUG as
IPMI only really comes on servers and not all of them
at that, so it's not something you will be able to do
at home.

The mail talk will be about mail from DNS, SMTP and
filtering to POP3, IMAP or webmail, using Exim and
Vexim as the example, given that's what I know. It
might be a longish, maybe an hour or more. I'll do
this one last as it will take a while to write. The
others talks might last around half an hour.

I started writing the SNMP one last night, but got
pissed off with having to change OO Impress's evil
plan to overwrite the slide headings with the content
on every slide, so I'll get back to that soon.

Neither of these talks are ready to go and I make no
promises that they will be soon, but throw me into the
hat.

Ad

--

http://blog.adamsweet.org/