[Wolves] Server side email filters

Adam Sweet drinky76 at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 1 13:29:12 BST 2008

--- Wayne <waynelists at machx.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I use exim + imap server , then Thunderbird as email
> client.
> I like the Tbird email filter system, but of course
> it only runs if you
> have you're client open - so if i'm away for a week
> and check email on my phone there are hundreds of
> unsorted emal to wade
> through.
>
> Is there any simple way/prog to take the Tbird
> message filter rules and
> apply them at the server end - i'm thinking I could
> knock togther
> filters over say a month on my client and then cut
> and paste set rules
> into an ongoing ruleset in some package on server.

Don't know of one but I haven't done on any Googling
on it. Your Thunderbird mail filters are in:

.mozilla-thunderbird/<profile>/ImapMail/<account>/msgFilterRules.dat

If you take a look at it, you'll see that it's plain
text so it should be easy enough to put the rules into
some kind of server-side filter, even if you have to
do it manually.

> Any ideas? Or is there a package on server you could
> just adjust. (I
> prefer GUI instead of command  line if poss! )

I think you're looking at something like procmail or
Exim .forward files and neither are GUI apps. Procmail
is an MDA (Mail Delivery Agent), I haven't used it and
last time I looked at it, it looked complicated, but I
haven't looked at it since I became probably capable
of understanding it.

Exim .forward files go in your user's home directory,
assuming you're a local user on the mail server and
specify the way Exim should deal with your mail. I've
not used them for filtering, I only used one for
system wide subject re-writing based on Spamassassin
headers, so I'm not certain that they're designed for
this. I'm not sure if they work if you're a virtual
user rather than a local user either.

One of those should be your answer, I just don't know
the details.

Ad

--

http://blog.adamsweet.org/