[Wolves] Ubuntu on Wolverhampton High Street and UMPC redux

Political Penguin fish at politicalpenguin.org.uk
Fri Aug 8 21:50:11 BST 2008

Yes I know it's Dudley Street before we get into it but I was wondering
if anyone else had noticed this.

Was up in Wolves today and happened to pop into the Carphone Warehouse
on the corner and they're doing those 'free laptop with a data plan
contract' offers.

I decided to have a little look at the kit on offer and then it struck
me, that the laptop, or to be precise netbook/UMPC (think it was an
Elonex one) had a desktop that looked familiar. To be precise a brownish
coloured gnome desktop. Anyway, just wanted to share that with people, I
think that's the first time I've seen Ubuntu running on a pc in a shop
and it was a pleasant surprise.

I also wondered if anyone has or is planning on picking up one of these
UMPC/netbooks and if it didn't come with some pre-installed version of
Linux like Xandros on the EeePC's then how they got on?

Just in case anyone was considering, I thought I'd jot it down that I
did pick up one the other week, horror of all horrors from PC World.
They're doing what they call the Advent 4211 for £280 which is nothing
more than a re-badged MSI Wind with a different coloured case and one
year warranty instead of two. I was wanting a 1000 series EeePC but got
fed up waiting. Anyway, although I haven't tried any other distro's on
it, I can confirm that it runs Ubuntu like a charm right down to even
the integrated webcam straight out of the box. Only slight fiddle needed
was to get the wifi card working but that didn't take more than a few
minutes.

Gareth