[Wolves] Tomcat and Fedora's Apache (Httpd)

Alex Willmer alex at moreati.org.uk
Thu Aug 14 22:22:45 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-08-14 at 09:42 +0100, dick_turpin wrote:
> I'm trying to
> get Hipergate http://www.hipergate.org installed/running on my
> networked
> Fedora box the install of hipergate isn't working but I suspect my
> Tomcat or Java is wrong or not configured properly.
>
> I did some googleing and thats where I came across this Tomcat Login?
> so
> I'm thinking I need to ensure thats working and integrated properly
> before retrying the install.

Tomcat isn't considered a red blooded American webserver, it typically
cowers behind Apache HTTPD or similar. I don't know how much Fedora have
fiddled, but packages from tomcat.apache.org cause tomcat to listen on
port 8080 for http traffic and 8009 for ajp13 traffic. ajp13 is Apache
SF's extra special protocol to hand off from Apache HTTPD to
Tomcat/other.

In the default config http://localhost:8080/admin is what you want, a
console to deploy web applications and to stop/start them.

Access to /admin is restricted to members of the manager role in
tomcat-users.xml.

Judging by this: http://www.fedora.info/wiki/index.php/Manager_servlet

Fedora have removed bits of the server.xml and the administrative
context xml, that are necessary for /admin to work.

Alex