[Wolves] Accounting Packages

dick_turpin dick_turpin at archlinux.us
Fri Aug 15 04:24:20 UTC 2008

Simon B wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I know it was asked a long long time ago, but I'm still at a loss...
>
> Can someone recommend me a Linux based alternative to Sage Line 50?
> Otherwise I'll be running windoze in virtualbox with sage 50.
>
> I'd require the software to be able to invoice, as well as handle the
> purchase, sales and nominal ledgers, taxes and year end would be an
> advantage, but the ledgers and invoicing is the most important part...
> oh and a cash book (from sage) equiv, ie able to give me the current
> balances of accounts...
>
> Suggestions?
There in't one!
I've asked this question since 1999 on countless lists, forums and
channels including here. Oh sure there are FOS projects that can do
*bits* but thats not good enough in the business world its one of my
main arguments as to why most companies don't have a full implementation
of Linux. Dave Goodwin mentioned one a few years ago (it'll be in the
archives somewhere) but if I remember he said that even that was not
brilliant. :-(

I know of a few applications that will do invoicing, stock control ect
but I'm not going to waste your time by mentioning them as I understand
exactly what you want and know full well that its not there. I think the
only way we will get an alternative that runs natively on Linux is one
that is not opensource and would probably cost a bob or two (old money
for you young'uns).