[Wolves] Accounting Packages

Philip Oakley philip.oakley at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Aug 15 17:08:25 UTC 2008

>Can someone recommend me a Linux based alternative to Sage Line 50?

>Otherwise I'll be running windoze in virtualbox with sage 50.

Some good packages mentioned gnucash is comparable at the lower end of the market (Sage Instant, Quicken, Quickbooks etc) and Openbravo ERP is more the  higher end of the market (Microsoft Dynamics etc)

I think the most exciting project at the moment and one that has the most similar features to Line 50 is LedgerSMB http://www.ledgersmb.org/ a fork of the very popular SQL-Ledger http://www.sql-ledger.org/ (forked after a nasty fallout over security and a subsequent license change to SQL-Ledger). The LedgerSMB project has set themselves the unenviable task of rewriting the whole thing module by module so the upgrade path may not be for the faint of heart.

Today though LedgerSMB looks a good alternative and if you want to be more conservative you could still look at SQL-ledger. Both are web based (apache server required) and use a postgreSQL database so it would be a bit of a culture shock for a Line 50 user but in my opinion a change for the better. LedgerSMB also has a project to get it into the debian repo's.

Another one to look at, already in the Ubuntu repo's, is openerp http://openerp.com/ formerly tinyerp.

My background is accounting and accounting software so feel free to ask any questions, if I can help I will. I have written a little bit about some of these at my blog about open source business software http://flosbus.com/

Hope this helps

Regards

Phil Oakley