[Wolves] Thoughts on Virgin Media?

Andy Robinson (blackadder) blackadderajr at googlemail.com
Mon Aug 18 21:54:16 UTC 2008

It may or may not be relevant today but I jumped in the opposite direction
about a year ago. I'd been a happy Birmingham cable/Virgin Media customer
for a number of years watching steadily the bandwidth limits increasing, so
all was fine and dandy. Until that was I started to notice certain ports
being limited or restricted. Always seemed to be random but I would
sometimes get a port to remain open for a couple of hours exactly before
access to it would stop. The final straw came when I couldn't even open
stuff to do basic remote management. Virgin themselves always maintained it
wasn’t something they were doing, but I've never been convinced. Anyway, the
long and the short of it was I decided to go back to a dedicated IP address
(the last I had had was Demon way back in the 90's) and signed up for
Bethere (unlimited), which coupled with a speedtouch router hasn't really
missed a beat. The fixed IP and ability to run my own albeit limited server
requirements without contravening any T's and C's has definitely been worth
the £18 a month.

Cheers

Andy