[Wolves] Thoughts on Virgin Media?

Dave Morley davmor2 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 19 08:07:31 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-08-18 at 22:43 +0100, Ron Wellsted wrote:

> Quite a lot of questions there! As a VM XL (20mb) user I will try to
> answer from the inside.
>

> 1/ The IP is allocated by DHCP to your (firewall external) mac address,
> I believe the lease duration is 24 hours, so as long as your firewall is
> powered up, you will keep the same IP.  Rebooting the firewall may
> result in a new IP.  The CM does not support DDNS, that is left for the
> firewall or whatever is behind it. I use ddclient on my server.  I had
> the same IP for about 3 years once.

9 times out of 10 now it won't.  This is partially down to the fact that
it's assigning is done via mac address.  However if you change your nic
there's a chance it will.

> 2/  I have only hit the throttling limit once when I downloaded 2 DVD
> isos in quick succession.  On 20mb, this means you drop to 5 mb, which
> is still faster than many ADSL connections.  I don't tend to think about
> it, even with VPN, VoIP, mail etc all running over the link.

I don't hit the throttling limit and I probably download more than most.
I use my head though and do it first thing in the morning.  You could
setup a cron job to dl anything you need.  Throttling only occurs
between 4-11 I think.

> 3/ Support.  The helldesk have their script and they are sticking to it!
>   Certainly anyone in the lug has a better idea than them.

They will put their hands up and admit it is a fault their end if you
play along with the script :)  9 times out of 10 you can give them the
info they require by doing your own thing anyway :)  At which point they
say I'll get an engineer on it asap.

--
Seek That Thy Might Know