[Wolves] Thoughts on Virgin Media?

Adam Sweet adam at adamsweet.org
Thu Aug 21 09:50:54 UTC 2008

Simon C. Burke wrote:

> I currently use bethere and get 20mb, but I am ridiculously close to the
> exchange.
> I would suggest the use of the master socket as per daves links above, as
> it does make a difference. Also if they blame the internal wiring you can
> just proclaim that as your using the master socket with different cables
> and micro-filters it may help, (it used to for me, but not BT directly).

I've removed all extensions from the house, am using a different
microfilter, a different ADSL modem, a different modem cable and am
plugged into the master socket's testing port, thus avoiding noise
generated by the second line being patched off 2 wires from the same
cable. As I was put in interleaved mode, I need to give it 10 days to
see if it will sync back up before I complain.

> The main problem seems to generally be over-subscription, exchanges are
> full and Virgin seem overcontended. Though if your lucky and live within a
> couple hundred yards of the exchange you can get close to the theoretical
> maximum they offer.

According to http://www.dslzoneuk.net/distance.php I'm around 1.76KM
from my exchange as the crow flies, I actually thought I was 3.5KM. I
had 7.5Mb when I first started the connection, but I generally got 5.5
to 6.5MB after the initial 10 day period.

> It's totally pot luck at the mo, but BT are supposedly upgrade to fibre
> optics slowly but surely exchange by exchange...

If BT 21CN == fibre, I believe my exchange is pencilled in for fibre to
my area in 2011 :(

Ad