[Wolves] EeePC eat my girls iPod's

Kris Douglas webbox.uk at gmail.com
Tue Aug 26 12:27:26 UTC 2008

On Tue, Aug 26, 2008 at 1:20 PM, dick_turpin <dick_turpin at archlinux.us> wrote:
> Hi All
>
> Well I have to say I'm pretty impressed with the EeePC 900, set up was
> pretty straight forward one little tip I'd pass on is when setting up
> wifi network (and you have kids) make sure you tick the box "Start at
> Boot" which saves a lot of heartache if you go out before the kiddy
> winkies fire the dam things up so that when you get home angry teenagers
> are not waiting to perform the "Death of a thousand cuts" on you.
>
> Interestingly I've not heard anyone talk about the 'Voice Commands'
> feature of the EeePC? Its just brilliant, I wonder if I can get it for
> my ArchLinux on the Toshiba? OK its a bit flaky sometimes, if you say
> "Computer Web" it answers "Clock" then starts the clock but on the whole
> it works  just fine.
>
> Anyway the handbook raved about hooking up your iPod, if the girls had
> of spoken to me first I'd have said "Don't do it" but they was secreted
> in their bedrooms where Dads are not allowed and duly plugged in their
> iPod Nano (The new one) Amarok fires up as the default and then they
> dragged the music over as directed by the handbook. All seemed fine
> until they went to play the ipod's on their own "Wheres me music gone?"
> interestingly plug them back into the EeePC and Amorak says the songs
> are on the iPod yet the iPod's menu says "No Songs".
>
> Plug them into iTunes (I know Windows, what are you gonna do) and iTunes
> says "Ooh your pods shagged want me to fix it?" so I select 'Restore'
> the progress bar comes up and..... it fails error 1446 (I think) has
> iTunes got an answer? Nope, has Google? Hm well yes stuff like use
> another USB port, done it, failed. "Run the battery down" how the hell
> you going to do that if theres nothing to play on it? They've been 'on'
> for two days with little or no movement in the battery status bar.
> Format the pod " Your having a laugh?  I'll probably end up with two
> £99.00 slivers of metal  which will come in handy for that table with
> one short leg!
>
> If there are any poddy experts out there who knows the trick of fixing
> this supposed corruption so my girls can go back to using iTunes on XP
> Pro I'm all ears.

Hello, this happens sometimes with me, cept my music collection is on
the better side of 60gig. But basically, you need to hard reset the
iPod:

"1.  Toggle the Hold switch on and off. (Slide it to Hold, then turn
it off again.)
   2. Press and hold the Menu and Center (Select) buttons
simultaneously until the Apple logo appears, about 6 to 8 seconds. You
may need to repeat this step."

I recommend the music manager that comes with Gnome for dealing with
an iPod, is it Rhythmbox or something, I can't remember, but it works
flawlessly.

:)

--
Kris Douglas