[Wolves] EeePC eat my girls iPod's

Zeth theology at gmail.com
Tue Aug 26 12:47:57 UTC 2008

2008/8/26 dick_turpin <dick_turpin at archlinux.us>:
> until they went to play the ipod's on their own "Wheres me music gone?"
> interestingly plug them back into the EeePC and Amorak says the songs
> are on the iPod yet the iPod's menu says "No Songs".

So the ipod is a horrible thing, we have two but one was bundled with
something else, the other was a prize. So when you upload music to an
ipod, it gives it a stupid machine-readable name and then adds the
stupid name to the ipod database. This is because the ipod software
cannot dynamically search its own hard-drive for songs like a decent
mp3 player can.

If you just need to rescue this songs, then pull them off from the
ipod harddrive with their silly names. Then you can use itunes on
windows to reformat the ipod and this will give you a blank database
and you can then reimport all the songs.

My preferred solution is to use rockbox software on the ipod, this
allows you to plug in the ipod as a USB device and drag and drop songs
on and off in Linux, Windows and Mac. It works like a standard media
player, it does not use the ipod database.

Best Wishes,
Zeth