[Wolves] A revolution in corporate desktop PCs?

Alex Willmer alex at moreati.org.uk
Fri Dec 12 21:58:28 UTC 2008

I'd like to hear your collective opinions on this.

PC Pro have this month reviewed the Eee Top and Sony Vaio VGC-JS1E/S.
They're an iMac-like PC-in-a-monitor. The sony has has a 2.5 GHz Core 2
Duo, 3 GB RAM, 500 GB disk, DVD Writer and integrated 20" 1680x1050
screen for £700.

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/reviews/238218/sony-vaio-vgcjs1es.html
(online review doesn't show the fold away foot at the back)

I think the Sony could make a brilliant corporate PC. It's priced
similarly to an HP Compaq dc7900 SFF PC (also reviewed), but the Sony
includes a screen, more memory and a built in webcam.

TFT monitors take a lot of shelf space to store, with the stand they
typically don't stack well. The Sony could be stacked higher & cheaper
than PCs + monitors. It would make a particularly good training PC. A
complete suite of 30+ could fit on 1 trolley, and take half the
time/sockets to deploy/cable.

This form factor could redefine the corporate desktop market. What do
you (particularly you Mr Turpin) think?

Regards, Alex