[Wolves] Tinkle tinkle little disk...

Kevanf1 kevanf1 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 5 17:25:38 GMT 2008

On 05/01/2008, Peter Oliver <p.d.oliver at mavit.org.uk> wrote:
> On Thu, 3 Jan 2008, Adam Sweet wrote:
>
> > Google did a study on disk failures over a period of around 5 years and
> > found that heavy usage and high temperature were overstated factors. In
> > fact in most cases, low temperature and infrequent usage were most
> > common in failed drives, apart from in very old and very new disks,
> > which were susceptible to high temps and heavy usage.
>
> I accidentally unplugged my PC while it was running a few weeks ago, which
> trashed one of the sectors on the disk.  One to avoid.

Well it's never recommended unplugging the PC when it's working but
how can we avoid power cuts?  Which would be the same thing?  Yes, I
know about UPS but how many people realistically have a UPS at home.
No, that sounds strange for a sector to be trashed just due to a power
outage...  It should have automatically gone back to its park
position.  There shouldn't be any damage as the heads don't actually
touch the platters.