[Wolves] Ubuntu on Eee PC - Worth it?

Andy Wootton andy.wootton at wyrley.demon.co.uk
Thu Jan 10 00:05:58 GMT 2008

Alan Pope wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 08, 2008 at 12:31:42AM +0000, Andy Wootton wrote:
>
>> Try setting your screen to 800 x 600 to get an idea of Ubuntu on a small
>> screen. Both Nokia and ASUS decided to go a different way.
>
> The eee is 800x480.
>
> Cheers,
> Al.

Yeah but I wasn't sure what that would look like on a standard monitor
:) Interestingly, exactly the same resolution as the Nokia N800 (but
maybe big enough to see without my reading glasses)

If these devices are to be a success in schools then surely a community
needs to form around the software, not the hardware. Immediately porting
10 different versions of Linux onto them is just supplying the Microsoft
apologists with bullets. I only boot my PC once a day too but maybe
school kids will boot once per lesson when they get to a mains supply so
the startup time becomes more important.