[Wolves] BBC iPlayer woes...

Kevanf1 kevanf1 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 24 15:48:05 GMT 2008

On 24/01/2008, Alan Pope <alan at popey.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 24, 2008 at 11:27:27AM +0000, Kevanf1 wrote:
> > I have just been told by a lot of good friends on another mailing list
> > about iPlayer problems :-)  Sorry, I can't help but crow about this..
> > Apparently the iPlayer software is installing secret peer to peer
> > networking software on every compatible 'Windows' PC that is placed
> > upon.
>
> A quick bit of fact checking...
>
> http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=iplayer+bandwidth
> http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=iplayer+p2p
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPlayer
>
> "Further criticism has been focussed on the iPlayer's use of KService from
> Kontiki, a peer-to-peer application which continues to utilise users'
> bandwidth, even after the iPlayer has been shut down,[19] though this can be
> controlled using options available within the software."
>
> > It's secret because the BBC are not telling any of the users
> > about it, or, at least not in the large print anyway.
>
> It's been known about since the day iPlayer came out. Just because your
> friends didn't know doesn't make it a secret.
>
> Besides, find me a Windows user who actually _READS_ what's in front of them
> anyway!
>
> > It may be
> > hidden away somewhere that they will end up seeding other users but it
> > should be fully disclosed.
>
> What? Like this comprehensive page on their help?
>
> http://tinyurl.com/2qrhte
>
> Which I found by clicking "help" then going to the (at the time) most
> popular question.
>
> >  All PC's with iPlayer software are slowing
> > to a literal crawl.  It sounds like the BBC could get into a bit of
> > bother about this if they really are allowing the installation of
> > undocumented software.
> >

> It's not undocumented.
>
> Cheers,
> Al.

That's all very well and good Al, but as you have said yourself, these
are Windows users.  Honestly, I'm only relaying what has been told to
me.  These people are actually not all your usual bang the keyboard on
the head Microsoft addicts.  One or two are actually highly educated
people, they do read what is in front of them.  However, how many
people realistically read the EULA on a Windows product?  It's all so
wrapped up in legalese that it simply mind numbingly boring.  Now, I
have not looked at the instructions or the disclaimers for the BBC
iPlayer stuff so I don't know how prominent it is about running the
peer to peer stuff.  If it is a clear as crystal then shame on those
mates of mine.  If it's as clear as mud though shame on the BBC for
'hiding' it and yes, making it like a secret!