[Wolves] Weekend pics!

chris procter chris-procter at talk21.com
Mon Jul 21 21:49:59 BST 2008

--- Peter Oliver <p.d.oliver at mavit.org.uk> wrote:

> On Mon, 21 Jul 2008, Zeth wrote:
>
> > Well if they do it again, they might want to be
> explicit about the
> > focus so people that have not heard of lugradio
> would be interested.
> > What I mean is, what Lugradio does well is that it
> is an open source
> > __user__ conference.
>
> I'd like to echo this.  LRL certainly isn't only
> suitable for people who
> listen to Lugradio, but I suspect lots of people
> might not realise this.

I actually dont like the idea of calling LRL a "user
conference" partly because it sounds like a newbie
conference but mainly just because it sounds dull!

> A significant number if people put their hands up
> when asked if it was
> their first LRL.  This suggests that to get the same
> turn-out next year,
> LRL needs to continue to attract new attendees.

My unofficial, of the record, back of the envelope
guesstimate of the number of attendees puts us about
15-20% up on last years equally erroneous guesstimate
(you can get rough numbers but the international
visitors get in free so its very hard to estimate how
many of them there are).

> Selling a conference tied to a podcast that doesn't
> even exist anymore
> might be tricky.  Perhaps some thought needs to go
> into the brand?

Speaking for myself (and, just to be clear, not the
other presenters!) LRL should be, as everyones
favourite highwayman says "a place where once a year
we can all get together and have a laugh, meet new
people and catch up with those you've not seen for a
while" *and* a place that has talks that are of
interest to a wide cross section of the community both
newbie and expert. I thought Jeremy Allison, Barbie
and Mathew Garrett's talks for example all struck the
balance pretty well.

I take the point that to up the numbers again next
year without the podcast as the publicity engine will
require a certain amount of thought and emphasising
that its not just for hardcore geeks is a good thing
but scaring off the hardcore geeks is a bad thing :)

Food for thought that I will save up for when I'm a
little more awake :)

chris