[Wolves] Weekend pics!

Ron Wellsted ron at wellsted.org.uk
Tue Jul 22 11:25:33 BST 2008

On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 11:04:57AM +0100, Barbie wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 10:12:51AM +0100, dick_turpin wrote:
> >
> > If I'd have been in charge;
>
> [snip tons of great ideas]
>
> Well volunteered Pete :)
>
> I especially like point 4. Bloody right the council should pitch in.
> This is a major event that happens every year in the city. We did the
> same the same with Birmingham city council, and although they didn't put
> in any money, they did allow us to use their marketing material, which
> is also the reason why Birmingham.pm's logo uses the Birmingham b logo
> :)
>
> Often you'll find its just the fact you're not talking to the right
> people.
>
> Dave, Ron I think you've just hired your Marketing Manager ;)

My thoughts exactly! Pete, you seem to have yourself an unpaid job.

There was a fair bit of effort put into the advance publicity.  The
venue change did not help, as this resulted in us taking our eye off
the ball in this area.

I had started with press releases in March to all the linux mags and
as many of the computer mags as we could think of.  This got us 2
(free!) full page ads in linux format. I also sent press releases to
the guy from the BBC that edits the BBC black country website.
Reload sent copies to named contacts within various TV & radio stations.

The details were also sent to various online news services like
silicon.com, cnet/zdnet, etc.

I found the results of all this very disappointing, reinforcing my
cynical view that the media are only interested in bad news.

--
Ron Wellsted
ron at wellsted.org.uk http://www.wellsted.org.uk