[Wolves] A Linux challenge

Dave Morley davmor2 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 14 21:19:18 BST 2008

On Sat, 2008-06-14 at 18:17 +0100, Chris Fox wrote:

> Kevanf1 wrote:
> > Can anybody help me with their extensive Linux knowledge?
> >
> > A friend of mine has challenged me to come up with some alternatives
> > to software used in Windows.  For once this is not the usual easy word
> > processing or music playing stuff.  Is there any way Visual Basic can
> > be written in a Linux environment.  Something like Ubuntu perhaps?
> > The other thing is that this friend plays a lot of online poker and
> > wins... an awful lot.  But, the software is designed for a Windows
> > environment.  Can it be used in Linux?  Perhaps suing Cedega or Cross
> > Over perhaps?
> >
> > Any help is greatly appreciated with this because the guy knows Linux
> > but he is an affirmed VISTA user.  I'd like to tempt him away if it's
> > possible.
> >

> Never used it, but isn't this basically what the Mono project is all about?
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mono_(software)
>
> Cheers,
>
> Chris
>
> - --
> Chris Fox (chris at robotninja.net)
> And now, for something completely different...

Add to that the poker stuff will probably just work if it is mostly
living inside a web browser.  The only issue you might hit would be if
it uses activeX.

However if it's a full game that is installed wine will probably take
care of it see if it is listed in the games database
http://appdb.winehq.org/

--
Seek That Thy Might Know